Sunday, November 11, 2007

Southern California XC Championships



Sat. Nov. 10, 2007

K. Hahn Park, West LA
8k Championships

The race for me today was at 9am and 11am for Libby, so I had an early morning by myself. I woke up at 5:15, had my 3 egg omelette with cheese, 2 pieces of our homemade bread with peanut butter, banana and honey....and a handful of granola. Afterwards I hit the bed again for one more go at a nap for 45 min. I left the house at about 7:15 to make sure I got there with enough time to get some spikes in my shoes. The course was an all grass course that we looped around 4 times, quick math makes that 2k loops. It was only Matt and I today in the morning, because Ozzie quit the team yesterday. It would have been cool if he finished the last meet with us.....or ran with us the past 7 weeks, but what can you do. We warmed up and did our drills, which was then followed by a nice sized dump to get me ready for action.

The race had some pretty good guys in the field, even though there were like 50 people. There were 4 guys who have gone under 14 minutes for 5k, a 2:17 marathon guy, a 29 min 10k guy and then myself and Matt, not to sell ourselves short. The course was a little sloppy in parts but overall a good day for racing, about 70 degrees, sunny and no wind.

So we started off pretty comfortably, not too fast and probably in a pack of like 10 for the first loop. After the first loop, I felt that it would be wise for me to back off a little bit to make sure I didn't kill myself too early. So for the rest of the race, I was mostly alone. Matt was a few spots ahead of me, not too far, but far enough where I couldn't get him. Long story short, I got 9th, holding off 2 guys right at the end, and Matt was 8th. I had a nice PR, 24:52.1, and I can't complain. I finally had a XC race where I felt confident and didn't quit. Matt was 10 seconds ahead of me.

Eric led his 4k race for the first 1000 meters or so, and then a guy hammered past him and pushed for the rest of the race. Eric ended up second in the race, but a strong performance, especially for his first XC race ever.

Went to work after, and then jogged for like 2 miles to loosen the legs.

12 miles today

1 comment:

mark said...

Awesome race, Paul!