Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Back to the routine.....no more sickness

Ok so last post I put up involved a rough few days for myself, but everything seems to be back in place now. It was weird, I was sick on Wednesday and was cautious on Thursday so I took the day off, ran a steady 9 on Friday feeling very good, and then later that night I started feeling crappy again. So "the sickness" as I call it, hung around for a few days, but it was of a very low intensity after Day 1. Since it started catching up with me on Saturday, I decided to take Saturday's workout nice and steady and not really hammering. It was still a quality workout, but it was in control. Then Sunday was a nice easy long run with Stephen and Bob, but my stomach again was giving me problems and made me feel kinda crappy for most of the run. Half way through I had to take a pit stop, and from there on....MUCH BETTER. That was the deal breaker for that run. Once I stopped and got the bad JUJU out I felt much better. We went for a solid 1 hour 30.

Afterwards we joked around and stretched which was then followed up by a kick ass massage. In the past, all the massages I have ever received from women have really lacked in relation to how deep I want them to go on my legs. So I went to a local woman that many people have recommended from the Westchester Track Club, Julie McElroy, and she was PHENOMENAL. She really did an extensive job on my legs, and it was at a really good intensity. It lasted probably like an hour and 20 min, which consequently made me late to brunch with the boys, but it was well worth being late.

Monday was another day that I ended up taking off becuse it was supposed to be Yankee's Opening Day. We got down there nice and early and were tailgating in the parking garage next to the stadium with the DIEHARDS. Every few minutes there was another chant or cheer going out. Such as PAPI TAKES IT UP THE ASS DOO DAA DOO DAA....and so forth. However since the sky pissed all day the game was postponed till Tuesday night at 7:05pm. This presented a problem for me since my workouts are usually Tuesday night at 6pm. I called Barnow and told him that I would workout with the guys from the Bronx on Wednesday morning at Van Cortlandt, and he was cool with it and told me to enjoy the game, which I did. YANKS won 3-2 over the Blue Jays. It was a kick ass game, and was very happy to be able to attend the last ever opening day at the current Yankee Stadium.

So this morning I woke up and ran a nice workout with Abiyot at Vanny in which he kicked my ass. His workout was a 3 lap loop of the flats, with each loop being 1.5 miles. My workout was do one loop with him, jog till he finished the 2nd loop and then do half of the loop on his 3rd. The first words from Barnow to Abiyot were "don't kill Paul on the first one Abiyot". Thats when you know its gonna be a quality workout. First I will start by saying that Abiyot ran his 4.5 miles in 21:30....yeah so that is pretty dam quick by yourself and with 30 MPH WINDS!!! Ok so we ran the first loop together and it was 7:30 for the 1.5 miles, which was a nice tempo pace, especially dealing with the winds and being in trainers. Then having him HAMMER me on his 3rd loop. It was good to get my ass kicked cause it made we work hard and will make me work harder. After all that we did 2 x 2min at a good clip. He dropped me on the 2nd one....Awesome. Next time I will be in light weight trainers, not those bricks that I wear for everyday runs. All and all a good workout, which was followed up by a nice day at work. First Outdoor race??? In a couple of weeks, not 100% where yet but it will be in a few weeks.

Wed. April 2, 2008
3 mile warmup, 1.5 miles (7:30), 7 min jogging, 4 min hard, 5 min jogging, 2 x 2 min with 2 min jogging in between.

Tues. April 1, 2008 (Yankee game)
58 min @ good clip on Railroad bed Vanny

Mon. March 31, 2008
Off

Sun. March 30, 2008
1 hour 30 min with Stephen and Bob at Rockies
(Stomach still a little messed up)

Sat. March 29, 2008
2.5 mile warmup, 4 x 90 second hills, 5 x 60 second hills, 2.5 mile cooldown
(stomach was bothering me still)

Fri. March 28, 2008
1 hour at a nice pace at the Rockies with James

Thurs. March 27, 2008
Off (Sick yesterday)

No comments: